Monday, 8 December 2014

Review: "Not that Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells you What She's 'Learned'" by Lena Dunham

Trigger Warning: Before I start in proper I just want to note that sections of this book have caused controversy over whether actions that Dunham recounts constitute sexual abuse or not. This is a review of the book as a whole and as such I will not be discussing that particular section.





Lena Dunham has been hailed as the voice of her (our) generation. I don't watch her show Girls and as such prior to reading this work I was not familiar with her voice or persona but I was dubious as I had read reviews and opinions which labelled Dunham as clueless and privileged. I can't say what it was that made me buy this book, perhaps it was a fear of missing out, maybe it was the retro-style, type-dominated cover. I have to say though that I was pleasantly surprised by the content inside. The book is comprised on mini essays about Dunham's life journey so far, what she's 'learned' from those experiences and the emotion that was connected to it.

Dunham's writing is very emotion-based and she focuses squarely on her internal life in her writing. This provides as sense of confidence and intimacy with the reader that isn't always present in non-fiction essays. While some reviewers may disparage Dunham for this focus (damn women and their emotions) I found her unapologetic emphasis on her internal self refreshing. We live in a very self-focused world and it is somewhat comforting to read though processes that you yourself have on a a published page written by someone whose life is completely separate from yours. The paranoia, hysteria, curiosity, depression, happiness that Dunham accounts in her essays is completely familiar to anyone with any sense of an internal life at all.

Furthermore, I would recommend this both to women and men equally. Though Dunham's perspective is unmistakably feminine the book itself has a value to both genders so if you're a male unsure of whether there is anything here for you - give it a go and see what you think. I promise there is nothing scary inside.

Is Dunham the voice of her generation? Who knows. After reading her book however, I am certain that this is one intelligent, sensitive, and talented writer who deserves your attention whether you agree with her or not.

First Published: 2014
Published By: Fourth Estate - Harper Collins

Rating: 4/5

Goodreads
Book Depository

Cheers,
xo

*this post was not sponsored. Image above is not mine, it was sourced from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment