Saturday, 20 December 2014

Classics Corner: Villette

First of all, let me apologise for this post being a wee bit late - I am working part-time over the Christmas/summer holidays and it has been hectic over the last couple of days. However, I am now back and with a plan for next week to make sure that posts go up on time (I know, secretly you are all waiting with bated breath for my posts...)



This time in Classics Corner we are discussing one of my favourite books, Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Now I have quite an unpopular opinion in that I like this book more than Bronte's most famous work, Jane Eyre. It is one of my favourites of all the Bronte sisters' novels (I collect versions of the Brontes' works - remind me to do a post on this) and I personally think that Villette is more evocative in tone and imagery than Jane Eyre is (also, the ending is better, but on to that later).

Villette follows the story of Lucy Snow as she moves to the fictional town of Villette in France in order to teach at a girls boarding school. What sets Villette apart from  Jane Eyre (and it does seem impossible to talk about one without the other) is Bronte's focus on religion; Lucy Snow is a protestant in what is largely a Catholic surrounding. While it is not a theme that is necessarily the forefront theme in the novel it adds a depth to the story and works as a way to show Lucy's sense of isolation. Villette is probably most well known as the most autobiographical of all of Bronte's works as she, like Lucy, taught in a school in France and found it all quite isolating. Another way that this sense of isolation comes through is in Lucy's character herself. Even though she forms bonds throughout the narrative Lucy remains quite contained and emotionally cut off from most of the characters.

This is not, perhaps, the easiest of the Brontes' to read, it is fairly long and like most Victorian literature the emphasis is on description over speech. There are a few scenes (like the hallucination) that can be hard to follow in places and don't quite seem to fit into the story but trust me, stay with it, the story is definitely worth it in the end.

Ah yes, the end. First of all if you haven't read this book (or Jane Eyre) and don't want to be spoiled then skip this paragraph. I personally prefer the end of Villette. I have had many an argument with friends over this. The more popular opinion is that at the end of Jane Eyre, Jane gets everything that she should possibly want and thus the ending is brilliant. However, although M. Paul Emanuel may die (or might not) at the end of the narrative Lucy gets her school. She gets a business, an income and the, albeit slight, possibility of love in the future. For me, this far outweighs becoming what would essentially be a nurse to a grumpy old man which is essentially what Jane ends up with. Lucy ends up independent which for a woman in Victorian England is a huge advantage. I know many of you will disagree with me, but there, I said it.

Have you read Villette? What did you think? Let me know below!!

Chat soon,
xo

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

*This post was not sponsored. Image is not mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment