Monday, 1 December 2014

Review: "How to be Parisian Wherever you Are" by Sophie Mas, Audrey Diwan, Caroline de Maigret, Anne Berest




I'm sure you've heard of this book by now, a mini coffee table book that boasts the ability to teach its reader about Parisian culture, food and social practices. I will admit that I am a sucker for anything Parisian-themed and I was so looking forward to this book as I thought that by reading it I would unlock some chic-ness that was lurking inside of me and I would transform into some peak-chic version of myself. Shock-horror, this didn't happen (not that I really expected it too).

In fact, the book itself did not really hold my interest that much at all. It was a good airplane read but other than that I haven't really looked or thought about it since. Some parts of it were funny but I didn't really find the content of the book very charming or engaging at all. The chapters were fairly short and shallow and I didn't gain anything new from this book that I wasn't already aware of. It really seems to rely on stereotypes in places as well. The photos, while beautiful, do not really connect to the content in any meaningful way.

All in all this book reads like a 'fabulous book for fabulous people' and doesn't really seek to engage the reader in any meaningful way at all. I have to day that I was more than a little disappointed. However, if you have a Francophile friend who is looking for a coffee table-type of book that they can just pick up and read sections here and there I would recommend it as a gift.

First Published: 2014
Published By: Ebury Press

Rating: 2.5/5

Good Reads
Book Depository

Cheers,
 xo

*this post is not sponsored. Photo above is not mine and is from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment