Monday, 2 March 2015
Classics Corner: "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I studied Crime and Punishment twice during my undergraduate study and loved it both times. The first time I picked up the book to read it, however, I was more than a little intimidated. 19th Century Russian literature is scary enough even if you ignore the fact that the novel itself is over 600 pages long. I shouldn't have been scared though and neither should you be (if, indeed, you are). Once you get into the rhythm of the novel and become more used to the less-conventional (in terms of Western European literature) naming of characters (most main characters have multiple names they are referred to by) this novel is incredibly satisfying to read.
The narrative follows the character of Raskolnikov after he commits a murder. The book is very much a study on the way his mind reacts to what he (intentionally) has done and the ways in which he is affected by his choice. It doesn't really sound like the most exciting book to read but it really works as a tense character study of Raskolnikov and although you may not particularly like his character as a reader you quickly begin to empathise with him.
Dostoyevsky also brings in secondary characters and story-lines which play with the themes of crime, punishment and the concept of justice. I think that these work really well together to push his themes home but at the same time you don't feel hit over the head with them. One of the most well-known secondary characters in the story is Sonya, a young girl who turns to prostitution in order to support her family. The interactions between Sonya and Raskolnikov are sometimes sweet, sometimes upsetting and mostly frustrating but I think they work well within the world and tone of the novel.
Is this a "feel good" novel? The short answer is no. I personally felt quite emotionally drained after reading it as Dostoyevsky does an incredible job of drawing the reader into the mind of Raskolnikov. However, I do think that it ends on a somewhat hopeful point so it's not all bad. If you haven't read it before I definitely recommend that you give it a read, as long as you have a tiny bit of patience you won't regret it.
Have you read this novel before? What did you think? Do you have a favourite translation? Let me know in the comments below! Also, if you have another Dostoyevsky favourite let me know what it is! I can't decide which one to read next.
Goodreads
Book Depository (I couldn't find my Penguin Classics edition - pictured above - so this link goes to the Vintage Classics edition which is BEAUTIFUL)
Lots of Love
xoxo
*This post was not sponsored, all opinions are my own. Above image is not mine, sourced from here.
Labels:
Classics Corner,
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment