Friday, 6 March 2015

Movie Tie-In: Madame Bovary


Gustave Flaubert's most famous work was first published in 1856. The narrative follows the life of Emma Bovary who in finding her married life completely unsatisfying has affairs and seeks comfort in consumption (haven't we all at least done the later?). Madame Bovary was Flaubert's first novel published and remains a classic that mostly everyone has heard of, if not read, ever since. Although the 'dissatisfied woman going to extreme lengths and thus ruining herself' was a common trope in Victorian fiction (see last week's tie-in for another example) Flaubert's work injects humour into the narrative which helps to give it lightness and stops the story from reading too melodramatic. My favourite quote from the novel would have to be "She wanted to die, but she also wanted to live in Paris". It perfectly captures the tone and whit of the novel. However, this isn't to say that the novel is satirical or that it doesn't have an emotional centre. It very much does. One of the reasons why this novel has lasted so well and is such a highly regarded classic is because the character of Emma Bovary is so well written and the reader is able to feel a great deal of empathy for her.

There have been many film adaptations of Madame Bovary but the one that I am writing about today is the most recent. It stars (my personal favourite) Mia Wasikowska as Emma Bovary, Paul Giamatti, Rhys Ifans, Ezra Miller, and Laura Carmichael. I think that the film comes out this year? I haven't seen any release date for it so far but fingers crossed it gets a decent release. It sure looks like a goodie!


What movie tie-in are you looking forward to? I can't wait for Far from the Madding Crowd though I haven't read Thomas Hardy's book yet (I think that it's in the mail as we speak). Have you read Madame Bovary? What did you think? What is your favourite adaptation? Feel free to let me know in the comments!

Youtube link to Madame Bovary trailer (in case the above video is still not working)
Imdb 

Goodreads
Book Depository

Lots of Love,
xoxo

*This post was not sponsored, all opinions are my own. Above images are not mine, sourced from here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment