Recently I was lucky enough to have a wee bit of spare money hanging out in my account and so like the dedicated blog writer that I am (hopefully I didn't just jinx myself) I went to town on my Book Depository (BD) wishlist. I regret nothing. I do it all for you anyway. Anyway, because I haven't been reading that much lately I thought a haul might be in order. However, because I've been quite busy over the last couple of weeks you are deprived the classic, average photo of all the books in a pile that I usually do. I apologise. I'm sure you'll saddened to not be seeing my FABULOUS photography skills.
The Night is Darkening Round Me by Emily Bronte (Penguin Little Black Classic)
This is the book that started off my spending. I got an email form BD saying that this was now available and the rest is history. These little books are so cute and cheap and yes, I want them all.
Book Depository
Goodreads
Image Source
Chocolates for Breakfast: A Novel by Pamela Moore (Harper Perenial)
I have wanted this book forever and it's the one that I am most looking forward to reading. It is a coming-of-age story set in the 1950s in America. From what I've read about the book so far it sounds in a similar vein to Francoise Sagan, Anais Nin, and Jean Rhys. So a fabulous coming-of-age story filled with scandalous affairs and copious amounts of cocktails.
Book Depository
Goodreads
Image Source
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (Penguin Classics)
These editions of Woolf's work are simply beautiful. They look gorgeous online but they are even more stunning in person. I got To the Lighthouse because it was the first Woolf that I read and it remains my favourite.
Book Depository
Goodreads
Image Source
Emily Bronte: The Complete Poems (Penguin Classics)
To be honest I got this mainly because I don't own any of Bronte's poetry and I though that this edition would be a good, comprehensive place to start.
Book Depository
Goodreads (Closest I could find)
Image Source
Fugitive Colors: A Novel by Lisa Barr
This story follows a young American artist who ends up in Germany as the Nazi's rise to power. Some major themes according to the jacket are love, friendship, the value of art, and politics. Sounds right up my street (I should note that I studied 20th Century European history at University). And yes, that lack of a 'u' in the word 'colors' in the title bothers me to no-end. English spelling forever!
Book Depository
Goodreads
Image Source
Bright Star: The Complete Poems and Selected Letters of John Keats (Vintage Classics)
I really want to read more poetry this year and I am a big fan of Keats. However, my knowledge of his works is far from extensive. This edition features an introduction by Jane Campion is a movie tie-in with her film Bright Star which is well worth a watch if you're a romantic who loves costumes, nature, poetry, and a good cry (seriously, tissues are more than necessary).
Book Depository
Goodreads (not sure if this is the same with a different cover or another book)
Image Source
Hangsaman by Shirley Jackson (Penguin Modern Classics)
Ever since I read We Have Always Lived in the Castle I've been wanting to read more of Jackson's work. For some reason I was just really drawn to the cover of this and the story sounds really great too.
Book Depository
Goodreads
Image Source
Have you made any purchases lately? Is there any book that I got that you particularly like the look of and want to see a review of? Feel free to let me know in the comments!
Lots of love,
xo
*This post was not sponsored. All books purchased with my own money. The BD links are above the Goodreads ones simply because I was part way through before I remembered my usual order and then couldn't be bothered to change it. None of the above images are my own. Image sources are linked in the body of the text.







No comments:
Post a Comment