Friday, 27 February 2015

Movie Tie-In: "Thérèse Raquin"



Thérèse Raquin is a novel written by Émile Zola and first published in 1867. It follows the life of the character Thérèse Raquin as she leads a dissatisfied life married to a sickly man-child/her first cousin, living with her mother-in-law/aunt and her subsequent affair with the passionate Laurent (oh the joys of the 19th century). One of the most remarkable things about the book is the way that Zola is able to capture Thérèse's desperation and isolation as a character. In his introduction to the book Zola wrote that his aim was to "study temperaments and not characters" and he does just that. Each character has a very specific emotional profile but still manage to read as well-rounded and realistic. It was the first Zola novel that I read and I just devoured it.

More recently, a film adaptation has been made of the novel. Though for some reason it has been titled In Secret (terrible title). It stars Elizabeth Olsen as the title character, Tom Felton, Jessica Lange, and Oscar Isaac. I haven't seen the movie and I'm not sure if it's already been released or has yet to be but just watch the trailer. It looks so great and is definitely going on my to-watch list. Although just a heads up: the trailer does contain what I would consider spoilers for the book so if you haven't read the novel and want to read it knowing as little as possible don't watch the trailer.

Have you seen the movie or read the book? What did you think? Feel free to let me know in the comments! Also if someone has any helpful tips and tricks on how to embed a youtube video into a post using blogger I would be forever grateful - for some reason it just wasn't working for me.

Imdb - In Secret

Goodreads
Book Depository

Lots of love,
xoxo

*This post was not sponsored, all opinions are my own. Above image is not mine, sourced from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment