Friday, 20 February 2015

Haul Update: The Last Three Months



I know, I know, this is a lot of books. In my defense, this haul is inclusive of the months December, January and February so some of these are Christmas gifts and some are birthday gifts. I'll calm down with the spending next month (probably). As you can probably see my Bronte collection is growing. Oh, and there is one book included in the text but not in the above picture because I couldn't find it when I was pulling everything together (spoiler: I found it later on one of the shelves I looked through).

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (Penguin Orange Paperback)


This novel follows a pair of isolated living in a town where they are hated following the deaths of everyone else in their family. Things get more complicated between the sisters and their relationship with the townsfolk when a mysterious relative comes to stay.

Goodreads 
Book Depository
Image Source

The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Penguin Orange Paperback)


The narrative of this book is about a fabulous and charismatic couple living in the 1920s. Of course, because it's a Fitzgerald novel nothing is as it seems and everyone is terribly depressed and money is not as free-flowing as it first appears. This is one of the few Fitzgerald novels that I haven't read so I am looking forward to sinking my teeth into it.

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf (Penguin Classics)


One of Woolf's most popular and well-known essays about the importance for women to intellectual and financial independence. I haven't read this yet and am really looking forward to it! This edition is just so cute as well, when I saw it in the bookshop I couldn't resist it (the version that I have is the one in the Book Depository link, I couldn't find a linkable image of the edition that I have. I do want the above edition though, so gorgeous).

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

Wild by Cheryl Strayed (Vintage Books, Movie Tie-In Edition)


I have read this book and done a review on this book so if you're interested in that click here.

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (Penguin Classics)


I'm just going to assume that you know what the Bronte books (the next few) are about.

Goodreads 
Book Depository
Image Source

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (Race Point Knickerbocker Classics)


A cloth-bound softcover. A. CLOTH-BOUND. SOFTCOVER.

Book Depository
Image Source

Selected Letters by Charlotte Bronte (Oxford World Classics)


Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Canterbury Classics)


Goodreads
Book Depository (Not the exact edition I have but the closest I could find)
Image Source

The Penguin Book of Witches edited by Katherine Howe (Penguin Classics: A Penguin History Book)


This is a collection of Witch trials from England and America from before, during, and after the infamous Salem witch trials.

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

Viper Wine by Hermoine Eyre (Johnathan Cape Ltd.)


This novel is about a once-lauded muse as she struggles with the process of aging and tries to convince her husband, an alchemist, to let her try the mysterious potion that is gaining popularity in the cities. This is meant to be a ripping read and I don't think that my description has done it justice so it might be best to click a link below to get a better idea.

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen (Bantman Press)


This story follows the journey of young girl who has grown up in exile as she travels to become queen as she has come of age. This has been pitched as a YA version of Game of Thrones and while I can see where that analogy comes from I don't really think that it is very apt. I have read this book so if you want a full review just let me know!

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

MacBeth by William Shakespeare (Sterling Signature Shakespeare)


I love these editions of Shakespeare's works. They include the most gorgeous illustrations and laser-cut paper inserts. I want them all.

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

Behind the Scenes of Downton Abbey: The Official Companion to All Four Seasons by Emma Rowley (HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.)


What? I'm not allowed to have a guilty pleasure?

Goodreads - unable to find, sorry
Book Depository
Image Source

How to Change the World by John-Paul Flintoff (Macmillian: The School of Life) [Not pictured]


I got this for my birthday from one of my friends. It is a non-fiction book about how to become passionate about a cause and then turn that passion into action in order to 'change the world'. My friend really liked it, so hopefully when I read it I will too. Superficially speaking, I am in love with the minimalist design of the cover.

Goodreads
Book Depository
Image Source

Phew, that took longer than expected! There has to be an easier way of doing posts like this! What books have you been buying lately? Feel free to let me know in the comments! Also let me know if you want a review on a particular book!

Lots of love,
xoxo

*This post was not sponsored. All books were purchased with my own money or were gifts from friends and family. Top image is my own, other images in text are sourced in text.

No comments:

Post a Comment