Tuesday, 2 September 2014

Review: "Is it Just Me?" by Miranda Hart


This book is a non-fiction, comedy format in which Miranda Hart contemplates life's awkward moments while directly addressing both the reader and her teenage self. Each chapter deals with a different aspect of 'adult life' which has the propensity to end in hilarious disaster. For example: music, jobs, weddings (and many others). Along the way you get some great anecdotes as well as some cheeky life lessons that may help you take adult life a little less seriously.

Confession time: I love Miranda Hart. I love her a lot. I love her so much that when I'm feeling poorly or grumpy, or I have the 'mean reds' as Holly Golightly would call them, I re-watch old episodes of her t.v. show. I have seen every episode many, many times and I still find them hilariously funny and they still perk me up and make my soul happy.

Another confession? I hate these non-fiction comedy books. I really do. I give them a go and they just always seem so forced and artificial and, well boring. One of the great things about comedy is the delivery and personality of the person performing and I just don't think that books are the best format to deliver comedy in an anecdotal way. And I'm just going to say it. I hated Ellen DeGeneres' Seriously...I'm Kidding. I tried, I really did. It didn't work.

I was, as you can imagine, rather dubious about reading this (hence why it has taken me so long). I love Miranda so much I really didn't want to hate this and so I refused to read it until recently. And you know what? I didn't hate it. I mean, I didn't love it. It took me a fair few months to get through, reading a chapter here and there (I also find it really hard to stick to a book when there's no narrative/ plot pushing me forwards). I think what helped this is that a lot of what is written in this book is similar to what is in her television show. There are jokes in common, words that you (if you are familiar with her show) would recognise. I think that the shining light in this wee book is Hart's ability to capture her 'own' voice. You read the book in her voice, with her cadence and that makes it funnier. Better. On that same train of thought, I would like to say that the audio book which is read by Hart herself is really great - I think it makes the material better. If you are like me and unsure about these kinds of books then I would recommend you go the audio route. In fact, I would recommend the audio book to anyone (maybe even above the actual book).

Rating: 3/5

First Published: October 2012
Published By: Hodder and Stoughton


*this post was not sponsored. Image is not mine - sourced from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment